Monday, September 17, 2012

TERROR PICTURES: Marvel Comics' THE SHINING

This one requires some explanation. A few weeks ago, I had a dream that the comic shop I manage, Strange Adventures in Halifax, received a shipment of discounted Marvel Essential collections--you know, the big black-and-white, 500-page reprints they do--and amongst these cheap paperbacks was a volume reprinting...Marvel's series based on the 1980 film version of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. I remember being taken aback in the dream, wondering how this series had eluded me, both a diehard Marvel kid and a Stephen King fanatic since my teens. I awoke desperately wishing that this series, which in my dreaming brain was written by Doug Moench and illustrated by Gene Colan, had actually existed. I was also left wondering how they filled out an entire ongoing series with this material; a film adaptation at this point in Marvel's history usually took up about five or six issues, so I guess the series would have continued with tales from the Overlook Hotel's haunted history, maybe? Either way, it wasn't real, so all I could do was wonder what a Marvel Comic based on The Shining would have looked like, circa 1980. Hence this. I think this dream came about because a) I've been thinking about Stephen King a lot lately, having just read 11/22/63 and re-read It, not to mention the fact that I've also been reading Marvel's Essential Man-Thing (how's that for a suggestive title?) collection. Maybe my subconscious brain was trying to imagine how late '70s/early '80s Marvel, which was into some pretty weird shit at that point, would have handled a partnership with the King of horror, who was still only a few books into his career at that stage. I think I'll have to do a few more of these mock covers to explore the idea. On a side note--I absolutely hated the fact that I was reduced to finding that damn carpet pattern online and dropping it in via Photoshop, but believe me when I say that I tried like hell to draw it freehand, and it nearly drove me crazier than Jack Torrance. And one more thing--this was done just for the hell of it. Stephen King owns the novel The Shining and all the characters in it, Warner Brothers owns the movie The Shining, and Marvel Comics owns, well, Marvel Comics. Please don't sue me!

No comments: